Thursday, October 4, 2012

You might think that it agree not much comparison, length, except in the, and the subject would I s


Shantaram is an autobiographical account of the author Gregory David Roberts' experience as a refugee in Bombay, after his escape from a brutal Australian prison, where he serves utube music a long prison sentence for armed robbery, he led while in the grip of heroin addiction was. The book is both awe and long. Very long. In fact, the only other book I've ever on the same epic scale was read War and Peace.
You might think that it agree not much comparison, length, except in the, and the subject would I seen: the events leading up to the French invasion of Russia through the eyes of five aristocratic families to the events following the flight of a bank robber to India. But bear with me .... These books share more than the length, perhaps utube music because of their length. Such as war and peace, Shantaram weaves together the stories of so many lives, and change intersect over time, fists as she. Fate and circumstances are True spans, war and peace, a much longer time, but what Shantaram is a detailed snapshot of place - Roberts' Bombay is as loving as Tolstoy's Russia pulled - and the journeys of individuals in each book are dangerous and full of drama.
Roberts' life was in many ways, stranger utube music than fiction. In fact, if I'd read this as a novel, I have spotted a lot more likely. utube music For a start, Roberts comes across pretty much the hardest man in the world. I lost count of the number of brutal battles he engaged in, and although he came out badly sometimes he never got the worst. Maybe I can only say that because I was a little girl with a soft, flawless skin, which has led a good life, but I'm can not imagine that running headfirst into fights the way the author does - he makes Bruce Willis as a pussy look. But Roberts is not only a hard man, he is also a deeply sensitive soul, which provides a free medical clinic in Bombay slums, virgins rescues in need (even if the virgins are deeply unpleasant character), dancing bears smuggled across borders, if necessary .... The list of his exploits is endless. If you have a friend like Gregory David Roberts (and I doubt that many people do) would have, you would know exactly who also only in a crisis. utube music
Now you might think that this sounds superman doubtful arrogant or even full of shit - but you would not feel as if you had read Shantaram. I have. I've lived with this book months. I read it when I was on a plane in heavy turbulence and I thought, come Literary Kitty, get a grip, your chances of dying in the next hour, tiny in comparison to his, and he keeps you cool - nobody is even try to gun you down.
But I digress - what I meant was that even though he is as hard as nails, utube music Roberts' prose as beautiful as poetry and full of the wisdom of experience. So many times when I read this book I wish I had a pen so that I a sentence here or there could underline and remember. If I would have done it hundreds of citations. As it is, there is only one marked with a star in the liquid eyeliner drawn (messy - I can not recommend it), where he says: "We can not deny the past, but we can not escape his torment, because the past is a talking shadow, keeping pace with the truth of what we are, step by step, until we die. "Haunting words of a man with an all over.
Looking back on Shantaram, now I finally have my dog-eared, tea-colored, water-wave copy of the shelf back, I feel the book had everything - action, wisdom, beauty, laughs, sadness ... I could go on. Only with war and want peace (yes, again), you'll find yourself always on certain characters - you have read about it long enough - and suddenly her life takes an unexpected turn and you're shocked, shocked - only you would be if they would have known. Roberts is very adept at drawing his friends utube music and acquaintances - he is clearly someone who loves people utube music and fascinated by them, and as such, he takes everything in.
I do not want too much. Into detail about what to go in the book, because I think that much of the excitement of it hinges on the twists and turns of fate I will have to say that I. Prabaker, the cheeky, serious leader who is Roberts' closest ally, loved and I never warmed Karla, its complicated, mysterious love interest As for Roberts himself, in its various incarnations as Linbaba, Shantaram and Gilbert Parker, I admired him from afar - never quite felt that I understood him (but I'll never be a knife-wielding, down-for-anything outlaw with a heart Gold ), but will always find truth in his words.
For me, the main feature of this book was how often a word or paragraph break made me look, and think, "that so true, although I never thought or known how to articulate it." If I wanted utube music to live his life? No picking lice out of my skin beaten in filthy jails, stabbed, betrayed, to see my friends in death

No comments:

Post a Comment