Thursday, October 4, 2012

Another aspect of the book that appealed to me was the poetry of it. Roberts mmorpg writes in a won

Shantaram - perhaps the world's largest book, "The idea of ​​an imaginative mind
... But probably not. But it is one of my absolute favorites, and to see how it by an Australian I felt that now would be a good time to write a post about it was written. This semi-autobiographical novel, in case you have not heard, was written by Gregory David Roberts, an ex-convict who escaped from a high security Australian prison in 1980 and fled to India, where he lived for 10 years. The book tells a story, although parts of it are fictionalized as Roberts sees himself as a creative writer, and did not want to write, pure non-fiction. The narrative begins with his arrival in Bombay, and is an extraordinary story of survival, passion and exoticism so fantastic poetic and evocative that it tell me about the desire to be a travel writer.
The criminal aspect makes the book very exciting, and back in the day provided me with some food for thought about the ethics of the crime. Roberts was convicted of armed robbery mmorpg - he had become a bank robber to feed a growing heroine habit - and he clearly engaged deplores the conduct that arrested him, not only where was it him, but because of the pain he caused themselves and others. However, he was forced to escape from the prison, because the conditions were inhumane and the guards clearly intended mmorpg to kill him. So while it certainly would wronged, it seemed that the "good guys" had pretty much done wrong themselves. Some time after his arrival mmorpg in Bombay, Roberts has been involved with the Bombay mafia, a member of the underworld. mmorpg Here things particularly difficult to classify as "ok" and "not ok". On the one hand he is a criminal, on the other hand, he seems not such a bad guy, and most of the things he does seem fairly decent.
Another aspect of the book that appealed to me was the poetry of it. Roberts mmorpg writes in a wonderfully lyrical way that suits strange dream landscape of India. There are also a lot of love, friendship and romance goes, softening the action and humanizing Roberts' fictional self. Shantaram is one of the few books that has really brought me to tears.
Not surprising, considering how much I praise myself in this novel, there is also an element of philosophy. The leader of the criminal group Roberts joins Abdel Kader Khan turns out to be something like an amateur mmorpg philosopher of his, and he discusses some theories with Roberts.
In fact, the attentive student of philosophy will find that he discussed a version of Kant's categorical imperative mmorpg with him - an ethical theory that I realized for a long time before I, that it suffers from a variety mmorpg of errors. Of course, all the philosophy mmorpg in the book a slight Eastern feel. In fact the whole book has a slight Eastern feel to it - the atmosphere is fantastic exotic (from a Western perspective, that is). People who are in any way interested in Indian culture, Shantaram will thoroughly enjoy, I'm quite sure.
The funny thing is, I have always been first and foremost a fan of fantasy and magic realism. It was not until I was about 13 that I started reading to even consider anything other than speculative fiction, and to this day I maintain a clear preference for literature that contains an element of the supernatural. But Shantaram is one of my all-time favorites, and it's just "plain" fiction. Why am I so glad that? I think I have already answered
this question to some extent. For me Shantaram is a straight-forward example of fiction that thanks to its setting, reads like magical realism, although it's nothing magical. This is a story that takes place in the world I live in, and yet it is somehow different - ethereal and exotic as the fantasy worlds I love like a child.
You are commenting using your Facebook account. (Log Out / Change)
"Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder Recent Posts Shantaram - perhaps the world's biggest book My Journey: a tale of daring and noodles Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's a blog post. Three Men in a Very Funny Story In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash: Humorous Americana

No comments:

Post a Comment